Foundation Brief: Eccentricities

Left: Pencil and pen drawings
Right: Acrylic painting of character

I worked on this project over the Christmas holidays during my Foundation year. We received a very open brief - basically just the title 'eccentricities'. I decided to try some character design, with emphasis on creating a character with the potential for use in animation. This meant constructing the character from simple shapes, designing a process of drawing them, and also making sure they could exist from all angles.

Development drawings. Top left shows how the character's face is constructed from simple shapes.
I was pleased with how this piece turned out as I think this babushka is an engaging character. I especially enjoyed working out how the character existed in 3D, and using the method of simple shapes to explore how the character could respond to different situations - thus creating a character with thoughts and feelings.

Comments

Popular Posts